Saturday 12 June 2010

Come & Have A Go If You Think You're Posh Enough

Just turned on Sky's World Cup Report, only to find David Cameron's oily gurning boat-race staring back at me saying that he 'wants to wish the England's all the very best for the World Cup.' He has, apparently, wrapped himself in the flag like a true Little Englander and, in best Diamond Joe Quimby style, declared today to be 'a national festival of football.' At least he didn't call it soc-her, I'll give him that much. "We're with ya all the way, Mista Prime Minister" bellow all the skinhead numskulls, gormlessly, pausing only from beating up some helpless immigrant to salute the Queen. Makes ya proud to be British, doesn't it?

Hello-hurray, there's a price to pay
For The Eton Rifles.

I think I might be sick.

Anyway ... today, we've got the following:

South Korea v Greece (12:30 ITV)
I dunno 'bout this one, frankly. Korea have got some very good players but are notoriously poor travellers (anywhere further than Seoul, basically) whilst Greece have a World Cup record only marginally better than Azerbaijan's, so I'm not expecting great things from this. Watch, now it'll go and be an seven goal thriller!

Argentina v Nigeria (3:00 BBC1)
So, we have a team of, quite literally, all the talents (Heinze, Mascherano, Gutiérrez, Messi, Tévez, Agüero, Milito) managed by a coke-addled madman with the temperament of a five year old on a massive sugar rush. That should be fun to watch. Facing them are ... Danny Shittu, Portsmouth's centre-half, a couple of Everton reserves and 'I play when I fancy it, not when you do' Obafemi Martins. Whatever happened to the days when African football was vibrant and full of unexpected quality, guile and allurement?! I can't see any other result than an proper Argy-Bargy here.

England v USA (7:30 ITV)
1-0. I'm not saying which way.